Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Just because I have low Iron level does not mean I have colon cancer does it


Just because I have low Iron level does not mean I have colon cancer does it?
My iron level is low and the gastrologist I seen because of stomach problems (they found out it was my gallbladder and it was removed) but he still wants me to have a colonscopy done because of low iron. Why? I could just be anemic right? Why is that what he thinks? Has anyone heard of this?
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Take it easy. Our minds tend to turn to the worst. There are many thing that could cause that. Just follow your doctor's advice.
2 :
It only means you need to consume more protein in your diet. Nothing more, nothing less. To rule out lower intestinal sources of bleeding, your doctor may recommend a procedure called colonoscopy. A thin, flexible tube equipped with a video camera is inserted into the rectum and guided to your colon. You're usually sedated during this test. A colonoscopy allows your doctor to view some or all of your colon and rectum to look for internal bleeding.
3 :
No, it does not follow that you have colon cancer. Please talk to your doctor.
4 :
The low iron could be from Internal Hemmoroids. My husband was diagnosed with Low Iron because he was losing alot of blood due to his hemmoroids. He had both internal and external ones. Yes, you can also "just be anemic". Only a Colonoscopy will tell you the truth.
5 :
Anaemia has many causes. Asymptomatic colon ca. is very rare cause.Family history is important.Your doc. should ask for occult blood in stool microscopy,if positive,then only advise colonoscopy. He should have ruled out more common causes like worms,nutritional deficiency etc.first. I advise you to have second opinion strongly.






 Read more discussions :