Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Colon cancer- alternate exit for excretion


Colon cancer- alternate exit for excretion?
After colon cancer patients go through surgery, the doctor makes an alternate exit (instead of the anus, since it is cut off) on the side of the body, for excretion. What do you call the NOZZLE/CAP for the extra hole, in medical terms?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The "hole" is called a stoma. Not sure what you mean by nozzle/cap.
2 :
The hole is called a stoma. It also can be called a colonostomy.
3 :
A tiny surface opening or pore. It may occur naturally or be the result of a surgical incision, as in a colostomy, or as the result of an abscess. STOMA is the Greek word for “mouth.” A colostomy is to treat various disorders of the large intestine, including cancer, obstruction, inflammatory bowel disease, ruptured diverticulum, ischemia (compromised blood supply), or traumatic injury. Temporary colostomies are created to divert stool from injured or diseased portions of the large intestine, allowing rest and healing. Permanent colostomies are performed when the distal bowel (at the farthest distance) must be removed or is blocked and inoperable. Although colorectal cancer is the most common indication for a permanent colostomy, only about 10–15% of patients with this diagnosis require a colostomy. Ostomy is a surgical procedure used to create an opening for feces to be released from the body. Colostomy refers to a surgical procedure where a portion of the large intestine is brought through the abdominal wall to carry stool out of the body. The feces are collected in a disposable colostomy bag as they come out of the intestine. There is no separate Nozzle or cap used for this purpose -
4 :
My Stoma is placed to the left of my belly button and down a little bit. I still find it amazing that this glistening red rosebud like object on my stomach is actually the inside of my intestine! Some may find this gross, but I find it facinating. Without it I would have died. I use a colostomy bag to collect the output. With each bag I need to cut a circular hole at the back so it will fit around my Stoma. I then peel off the backing to expose the sticky surface then stick the bag to my tummy. Some people irrigate their colostomies. Which means that they give themselves an enema through their Stoma. By irrigating they can gain control over the output of their Colostomies. They irrigate through a nozzle connected to an enema bag, they then use a Stoma Cap to cover or plug up their Stoma so any stray output won't mess up their clothes. To anyone reading this who is terrified at the propect of having to have a Colostomy, let me tell you that it truely isn't the worst thing in the world. I am in my early 40's and will have another 40 yrs of living with a colostomy. (without it I would have had only a couple of years at the most) It just means that you go to the toilet a different way, that's all.





Read more discussions :