Friday, July 16, 2010

At what age should I start getting tested for colon cancer


At what age should I start getting tested for colon cancer?
And how often should I get tested? By the way I am a 34yr. old male
Men's Health - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unless you have some kind of symptom, 40 is young enough to start with the first colonoscopy. Up until then you can do the stool smear that will check for blood in the stool. A colonoscopy is not painful you will be given a sedative that will make you sleep during the procedure. After that if nothing is found, every 2 to 5 years is often enough unless you start showing some kind of symptom.
2 :
The Queen has it right - but would add: is there a family history of cancer? I have it on both sides so was a little more conscious of potential problems..........noticed just a little blood on the tp so went in for a check-up and there were like 24 polyps.......and I was only 17 !!!!!! Doc said it was crazy young for that but glad I went in and had them taken care of. Took 3 visits to remove.......going in for check-ups every 6 months but no new ones.
3 :
Most physicians recommend by the age of 50. After that every 3-5 years unless there is history of cancer in your family. Trust me the preparation for it is worse than the procedure. If you are a healthy man (non smoker esp) it's okay to wait a few more years. Good question!!





 Read more discussions :