Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do you think I should have kids if I have a disease that leads to colon cancer


Do you think I should have kids if I have a disease that leads to colon cancer?
I found out I have FAP when I was 12 and I was just wondering if anybody has had kids when they have had it, but not passed it on to their kids. I already have pre-cancerous cells in my stomach and colon, and I have to have surgury this summer. I'm turning 15 in June. I told my boyfriend about it and he wants to be at the hospital when i have my surgury. Do you think I'm going in the right direction? Or should I just adopt so I can't take a risk?
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
FAP is an autosomal dominant genetic disease, meaming that you need only one defective gene copy to have it. What it means is that for every child you and your boyfriend will have (assuming he does not have FAP himself), there's 50% chances that he/she will have it. That's awful odds. This is your decision, both you and your boyfriend. You have lived with this disease, and you know what it entails. Personnaly, I would adopt. I know its a difficult decision. My cousin just had a severely handicapped baby and we are in the process of verifying on which side of the family the mutation originated...
2 :
Good for you for being so thoughtful and unselfish as to not wish this on your children. Very few people I know of are as bright as you in this regard. It will definitely save you grief in the future and from what I understand one loves an adopted child just every bit as much as biologic.
3 :
You need genetic counseling. Ask your doctor to refer you.





 Read more discussions :