Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How long can some one live with colon cancer


How long can some one live with colon cancer ?
Location - Oregon, Salem Age - 15 (16 nov 30) Diagnosed - Yesterday Stage of colon cancer - 2 Sex - Female She is the most important person to me in my life we met August 3, 07 over myspace if she goes I go. Having getting told you have cancer almost your birthday is so sad to me makes me cry why does this have to happen My girlfriend You did answer my question but being rude I want more opinions about this
Cancer - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
my dad was 62 and he live to 91
2 :
dude just make sure you make her feel loved and support her -but don't look at her with pity in your eyes
3 :
im very sorry to hear that. my uncle is going through a battle with colon cancer i can feel ur pain.
4 :
patients today with metastatic colon cancer can live for years. The efficacy of chemotherapy has tremendously increased, now with chemotherapy tumors shrink more than half in about 50-60% of patients, some of patients with metastatic disease into the liver, can be operated because of the shrinkage, therefore some patients with metastatic disease can be cured. Over the last 5 years the survival quadripled. Some state that cancer may become a chronic disease. I have many patients with metastatic disease who living 3,4 or 5 years or longer.
5 :
I'm so sorry to hear that. With type 2 cancer I thought they could still have surgery. Colon cancer is supposed to be one of the easier ones to get rid of. I know a couple of people who had it a long time ago and they had surgery and one had chemo and they are still alive.
6 :
This type of caner can be treated, and people do live out their lives. I have 2 friends that actually went through this and they are doing fine. And theirs were very serious. The doctors just removed the colon and put a bag on them and they are just fine now! :) Its a very sad day to find out a love one has cancer. I lost both my parents at a young age to cancer ( not colon). Cancer cells are hereditary to some extent. She needs to be strong, and she needs a friend to be strong for her. I wouldn't cry around her because she is going through a difficult time. Be there for her. God Bless
7 :
would suggest that you read the article by Stephen Jay Gould titled 'The Median isn't the Message' about cancer and statistics. Gould had abdominal mesothelioma and when he asked his doctor for literature to read about it, he was told there was nothing interesting that he would find. He went ahead anyway and discovered that abdominal mesothelioma was considered a terminal disease. At best he had 8 months to live. Gould, an intellectual, set about figuring out what his real chances as individual were against such a brutal statistic. What he discovered was that despite the poor prognosis that in his individual case he had a much better chance at surviving. What he learned was that statistics do not tell the whole story. Gould went on to live another 20 years before dying from a secondary cause. Someone with a stage 3 colon cancer has a chance at remission. A chance at life. There is always hope. http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html
8 :
Didn’t you just ask this question not long ago? In that answer I explained that it is nearly impossible for a 15 year-old to get colon cancer. Now I have no doubt someone is not telling the truth, because if she were diagnosed yesterday there is no way the stage would be known today.
9 :
well. I have Lost 3 family members due to cancer and had 1 survive. the three that died had very very bad cancers and the 1 that survived had colon cancer.. This is the cancer that is one of the easier ones to treat.. It is Not in any way a death sentence. You need to support her and go about your life with her as if she didn't have it... More likely than none she will be Just fine.




 Read more discussions :