Sunday, April 8, 2012

I'm only 20 ... could it really be colon cancer


I'm only 20 ... could it really be colon cancer?
I'm a 20 year old female who has had problems with her bowel movements since freshman year of high school. It began as a few years of almost constant constipation (sometimes up to a week!) for which I was prescribed some kind of medicine that either was or was very similar to metamucil. It honestly did not work and it tasted horrible so I stopped taking it. Around my freshman year of college I became close to regular. I would have alot of constipation and then some diarrhea, and then a minority of regular bowel movements. Since high school, I have always had some blood in my stool. Some bright, some dark. I've always had problems with abdomenal pain -cramping, sharp pains, bloating and of course gas. Recently my stool has become small and thin and almost diarrhea-like, and I don't feel like I've finished going. My grandma died of colon cancer and I have relatives who have had polyps, but I'm only 20. I'm planning on getting a colonoscopy or something ....but how likely is it?
Cancer - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Sounds like you haven't been to a physician. This hardly the forum to get credible medical advice without an examination. Blood in your stools? And you ignored that? Go get examined!
2 :
It's possible at 20, but unusual. But with the significant changes in stools, you really must go and get a checkup. IF it's cancer, then the earlier they find it the better. Colon cancer is very beatable when caught early.
3 :
It doesn't matter what age you are. That is something not to play around with. It sounds alot like IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) but they can't diagnose you if you are not even completing your prescription . You are crazy and stupid for only caring about what it taste like. Medicine is to help heal you not to taste great.
4 :
YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR!
5 :
Although your symptoms sound like irritable bowel syndrome, it's hard to know for sure. You need to see a gastroenterologist for your symptoms. If you can't get an appointment, have your regular physician make a referral so you can get in quicker. Good luck.
6 :
You are at greater risk of colon cancer if you have a family member who has it. Did you change your diet all this time because of your severe constipation and diarrhoea problems? The symptoms sound like irritable bowel syndrome. You should get yourself treated for them and also keep a watch over what you eat. Most definitely, go for a proper diagnosis. No one can tell you how likely you are going to have colon cancer, etc. For more info on digestive disorders, you can check up here http://www.detox-cleansing.com For more info on IBS, you can look up here http://www.IBS-treatment-options.com
7 :
Please get a colonoscopy...don't settle for any other testing. I had chronic constipation since I was in high school, and my doctor never addressed it. January 2006 I was diagnosed with stage iv colon cancer at the age of 40. I had a barium enema in 2001 and it missed the tumour/poly[. I did not have a family history, but with your family history and symptoms you should be screened and keep on top of it. Colon cancer is highly treatable and preventable if caught in the early stages. Wendy www.wendysbattle.com





  Read more discussions :