Friday, May 16, 2008

What Are The Chances Of Getting Colon Cancer If No One Else In My Family Has It


What Are The Chances Of Getting Colon Cancer If No One Else In My Family Has It?
I know this sounds a bit strange, but hear me out... A few days ago I used a Mystic Eye (something like an oujii board) and I asked how I would die. It said of "Cancer Colon" and in my 70's. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and this got me thinking. Since then I have had stomach pains (not from being worried) most of the time during the past 3 days. Today I had a pain in the lower part of my chest/upper part of my stomach that later moved to around my right kidney. My body is achey which it has been for the past few months (the doctor said it was from over-using my muscles from playing bass) today it's been a bit worse but I've been walking around town all day. The only people in my family to have Cancer are my aunt on my mother's side who had ovarian cancer and my grandma on my father's side who had lung cancer (and smoked for many years.) I'm 15 years old. What are the odds of me getting Colon Cancer? I also have shortness of breath which I've had on and off since my muscles/joints started hurting in the beginning of the summer. I'm a white male who doesn't smoke, drink or do any drugs. I don't eat much meat other than Mcdonalds hamburgers, and occasionally hamburgers off the grill at home.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
for starters you shouldn't believe in that mystic eye crap, you'll be much happier if your life isn't ruled by superstitions
2 :
well my dad has colon cancer and no1 in his family has it or has had a history of cancer. i don't think that's hereditary. i was told that is has all 2 do w/ ur lifestyle. if u eat, drink, or use anything that is toxic 2 ur body or that contains toxins will cause u 2 get cancer. i thought that was the dumbest thing but it makes sense cuz my dad smoked, drank, and ate red meat. so it might be true. u should go visit the American cancer society. they have all that info.
3 :
Are you African American male? If so then you have higher chance of getting colon cancer than others. If not than don't worry about it. Either way, you are 15, it does not occur at this early age. Your stomach ache is your head playing tricks on you.
4 :
Colon cancer is asymptomatic until the very late stages. It is not a common cancer for a 15 year old at all. Certain age groups tend to have different types of cancer, not always, but enough to think that age is a factor when determining the types of cancer you can get. Colon cancer is bascially a disease of older people, you hear alot about it because there is educational material teaching the public about the disease (just like smoking and breast cancer receive a great deal of media). This is all good for older people who need this information, but it does little good for people your age. The types of cancer that teenagers commonly get are often related to growing (growth spurts) and hormones thus you should be looking out for any unusual lumps or bumps located anywhere on the body. Be especially suspicious of any bump that seems to be growing. The types of cancer common to adolescents are: 1. Leukemia - cancer of the blood 2. Osteosarcoma - a type of bone cancer 3. Ewing's sarcoma - a type of bone cancer 4. Hodgkin's disease - lymphatic system (lymph nodes, thymus, spleen, adenoids, tonsils, and bone marrow) 5. non-Hodgkin's lymphoma -lymphatic system (lymph nodes, thymus, spleen, adenoids, tonsils, and bone marrow) 6. Germ cell cancers - Testicular cancer 7. Soft tissue sarcoma - cancer of connective tissue or muscles, example is Rhabdomyosarcoma 8. Brain tumors - not generally common in teens but two forms to watch for include Astrocytomas (from cells in the brain called astrocytes) and Ependymomas (begin in the lining of brain ventricles). 9. Melanoma - skin cancer 10. Thyroid cancer http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/cancer/cancer.html It is possible to have other types of very rare cancer as a teen too, but the above diseases are the most common and the ones that all teens should become aware of. Each age group should become familiar with the types of cancer common for their age . . it narrows the field of over 200 different kinds of cancer down considerably. Still, if you have any doubts please go seek out medical advice. Get a complete physical and discuss any concerns with your doctor. Best.
5 :
The odds at age 15 are very low. The odds over the whole lifetime - don't know. But if you believe that MysticEye stuff, you've got at least 40 years before you need to get a checkup. Colon cancer commonly takes 5-15 years to grow to the stage where it causes symptoms, so if you're scheduled to die in your 70's from it, then...no need to worry right now!





 Read more discussions :