Tuesday, March 4, 2008

If my family has a history of colon cancer, how early should I start getting tested


If my family has a history of colon cancer, how early should I start getting tested?
My mom had colon cancer and I was just wondering if there was a certain age that it is recommended I should get checked out. Thanks!
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i would say when you are about 40 yrs old....they say normally at age 50.....
2 :
You are asking this question because you are concerned it's time for you to go get peace of mind as soon as possible. A.S.A.P.What is it you want to do worry and stress until you make yourself sick?See my point.I hope so.I don't mean to be Hard nosed it's just that I have had the same problems with different Medical Hereditary conditions.I would procrastinate.Just do it!
3 :
Wow.... great question. Colon cancer runs in my family too. I lost my mom, and a brother to it, another brother had it and survived with surgery and chemo, and I've had part of my colon removed. So. Please check with your doctor. I'm also a nurse, and I don't think you should wait any longer than age 40. If you have any symptoms, you should have one done right away. All my remaining brothers and sisters and I have a colonoscopy every year. Don't take any chances, but don't panic either. Tell your doc about your family history and go from there. Good luck.
4 :
you can not start too early because there is no age. cancer can grow in babies. eat fiber and onions in your diet and use metamucil and fresh fruit in your diet...do all the things that prevent it. fresh green vegetables and fruit can prevent cancer and tomatoes and blueberries and other foods can keep your colon clean and healthy. good luck. you can prevent this...dont just wait and keep checking because your body listens to your mind and you need to take control of your health. there are reasons why families get cancer and many times they are bad eating habits that they learned from their parents or even the water they drank, or location they lived in. read and learn. change this for your children and the future.
5 :
You have not mentioned your age, even then you should have contact your doctor periodically at least once in 2 years and have the tests done to ensure you do not have the disease. The U.S. Multisociety Task Force on Colorectal Cancer recommends the following screening options: * Annual fecal occult blood testing * Flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years * Annual fecal occult blood testing plus flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years * Double contrast barium enema every five years * Colonoscopy every 10 years More frequent or earlier screening may be recommended if you're thought to have a high risk of colon cancer. Explore the benefits and risks of each screening option with your doctor. Together you can determine which colon cancer screening option is best for you. One factor to consider is whether your health insurance provider covers colon cancer screening.-
6 :
my dad was disgnosed with colon cancer when he was 47. they always suggest AT LEAST 10 years before that is when you should get tested.




 Read more discussions :