Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is there still a chance I wouldn't get colon cancer


Is there still a chance I wouldn't get colon cancer?
My mom has colon cancer but she has no family history of it. I found out online that the people that have colon cancer, 80% of those people had no family history and 20% did. My father on the other hand had a father that had it and died from it. We do not know if my dad has it because he is afraid to go to the doctor and find out. I don't believe any of his brother and sisters have it though. Is there still a chance I wouldn't develope the cancer when I grow up? Or is it 100% chance I would?
Cancer - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know, but be sure you get enough vitamin D and that will increase your chances of not getting colon cancer. I do know a man that is still living many years after he had colon cancer.
2 :
There is a chance that you can get the cancer. But it is also possible that you will not. So talk to your doctor about having regular colonoscopies, early detection is the key to survival once you grow up. Don't eat too many junk foods, eat your fruits and veggies.
3 :
My own children have the same fears as you do. My doctor recomended that they start being checked for bowel cancer when they are 10yrs younger than I was when I was diagnosed. ( tricky sentence? ) So if your Mum was diagnosed at 40yrs, you should start getting checked at 30yrs. But if you show any symptoms, then you should have a check up straight away. Colon/Bowel/Rectal cancer is highly curable if you catch it early. Mine was caught when it was very small, and I didn't need to have Chemo or Radiation treatment. Only surgery. I'm cured! So don't worry yourself too much about it. No point dwelling on something that may never happen.
4 :
The odds of a person getting colon cancer is increased if there is a family history of colon cancer in a first degree relative. That is, if your parents have colon cancer, the chances of you having cancer are increased. However, that does NOT mean you have a 100% chance of colon cancer. People who are at a higher risk should be screened more frequently that those who don't have a family history. Colon cancer isn't necessarily horrible news. It is often slow-growing, and in early stages to cut is to cure. It can be years before a pre-cancerous polyp becomes a cancer. The key to successful treatment is to catch it early. See a doctor. He or she will tell you at what age to get a screening colonoscopy. If it is clear, you can rest assured for years, depending on your medical history. There is no good reason for you father not getting check up. I'm an anesthesiologist. I spent my day today giving sedation for colonoscopies. With I.V. sedation it is a painless procedure, so don't put off getting preventative care. Tell you dad he should be afraid of NOT getting checked.
5 :
Your dad should stop being such a chicken and have a colonoscopy to determine if he has pre-cancer polyps or cancer of the colon... The test does not hurt at all... I've had it myself and found out I have colitis.... Your probability of getting colon cancer IS increased because you have it on both sides of your family, HOWEVER, with proper diet, regular exams, and that all important colonoscopy, you can be sure to catch anything you MIGHT get at it's early and most curable stages... Tell you dad that NOT KNOWING is worse then knowing.... and if he HAS it and doesn't get it looked at, he will surely not like the outcome.
6 :
Not going to the doctor can kill you. Seriously, a colonoscopy is a very simple procedure and it can save your life. Convince your dad to make an appt. And then YOU keep tabs on your own health.
7 :
My paternal grandfather and maternal great aunt both had colon cancer in the 1960s. None of their children (5 people total) have developed colon cancer. Four of their children are in their 70s, and one died of a heart attack in his 60s. Not all children of people with colon cancer develop the disease. Recommendation: Eat lots of fiber and overall have a healthy lifestyle.






Read more discussions :