Saturday, November 1, 2008

When should I be tested for colon cancer


When should I be tested for colon cancer?
If my mom's mom died of colon cancer at 36 and my mom had stage one colon cancer at age 60 what are my chances of getting it and when should I get tested? Also my sister has stage IV breast cancer at 50 and her doctor said I have nothing to worry about and should not be tested early. Is this true?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Normally they say to start your exams at 45-50 years old. With your background, I think I would ask my doctor and plan for around 40, unless you have any symptoms then I would have it done right away. Ask you family doctor for the best advice based on your family history. ~
2 :
Every cancer is a different disease. Therefore there is no connection between your motherĂ¢€™s colon cancer and your sisters breast cancer. Although 50 is young for breast cancer it is not young enough to consider a hereditary component. However, your mother was very young for colon cancer. Without more information it is difficult to know if there may be a hereditary component with this or not. It would be helpful for any doctor if you were able to get her medical records. The recommendation for colon cancer screening is to start at 50 years old. Only knowing what little you have mentioned, to be on the safe side I would say you should be screened at 35 years old. At least it will give a baseline and some idea if your colon appears healthy or not and from there the doctor will know how often you should be screened. Your family doctor is not the best person to advise you on this, you should get a consult from a gastroenterologist.
3 :
We are just dealing with colon cancer this year(my sister)A normal time for first testing is 50 but the cancer-care team at Sunnybrook told her kids that if they remained sympton-free then they would need to start testing at 40.You need to watch your breasts for any abnormalities and then you would also start being tested every year at age 40.Normally docs send u for all those tests at age 50.Good Luck and be very aware about your own body..and see the doc if anything feels not right.
4 :
I was told that cancer is genetically link to our ancestor/family member by doctor BUT nobody can guarantee that you may contract one in your life. As per your writing, it is best to do a regular check up earlier as you are categorise in the high risk group due to your family background. I also suggest that you change your daily diet to include a lot of foods/fruits HIGH in anti-oxidant, such as fruits that are colorful. I m telling you from my own experience as i have 2 uncles who pass away around the age of 50++ and the most recent is my father in law who pass away last month. From all these cases , i do a lot of reading/study on cancer and i hope to advise or help as many people as i can. Need to believe in GOOD KARMA





 Read more discussions :