Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How deadly is stage four colon cancer? What is chance of survival


How deadly is stage four colon cancer? What is chance of survival?
I have a friend who was last week diagnosed with stage four cancer, that started in her colon and spread to her ovaries, liver and parts of her stomach. She is a 23 year old young beautiful girl! How does this happen to such a young person? Cancer really is a silent killer - she had no idea until she collapsed in an airport last week. I would like to know what the survival chances are for stage 4 cancer victims?? =(
Cancer - 13 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It's tragic to learn about your friend. But advanced colon cancer has a nil next to nothing rate of survival. Sorry.
2 :
Stage 4 colon cancer (metastatic) clearly has the worst prognosis. However, not all stage IV cancers are the same. For example, the NCI reports that patients with 3 or less hepatic (liver) metastases have a five-year survival rate of 20 to 30%.
3 :
Unfortunately, when it is detected at later stages (when distant metastases are present) it is less likely to be curable. Distant metastases means it has spread to the liver, stomach etc. Pray for her and her family and be strong for her. I hope that she is right with God, because he will ease her pain. God Bless, and prayers for you all.
4 :
For some reason, cancer seems to be more aggressive in younger people. That is just my observation. But the good news is that hopefully she is otherwise healthy and strong and will be more able to withstand the aggressive surgeries, chemotherapy and/or radiation than older people. I think that laughter and a positive attitude can be the best medicine that you as her friend can give her right now. Be there for her as much as you can - to avoid her can make this ordeal for her more difficult.
5 :
Colon cancer is very deadly, my father passed away 2 years ago and they caught his very early and that still didn't help. Start four is very bad, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend but if a miracle doesn't happen I'm afraid she's doomed. Once it's spread that much there is not much anyone can do except pray. All you can do is be her friend til the end and help her and her family in this time of need because it only gets worse and it progresses. She is very young indeed and something like this had to be very hard to deal with so she is going to need alot of love and support. I think the survival of this stage is less than 20%. Again I'm very sorry, keep your head up and help your friend and just be there for her.
6 :
my husband passed away last year from liver cancer, im sorry but stage four the doctor will tell you is the final stage there is no hope when its 4. call the doctor they will tell you
7 :
I am SO SORRY to hear this my cousin just lost her 40 year old husband to colon cancer, so I know what you can expect he was on chemo for three months then he got so weak that he could not remain on the chemo anymore he became thin since he could not eat certain foods due to the bag ( I forget what it's called, but it holds you waste from food) he then became so skinny that he looked like a skeleton with skin , it was SO sad & I feel bad for my cousin & the two lovely children that are left here w/ out him Just be there for your friend & help her to enjoy what ever time she has left, I hope she has better luck than my cousin's husband did, but even though we don't understand I believe that everything happens for a reason & we are not in control
8 :
I am almost a 6 year survivor if colon cancer, however, I was a stage 2. I had many many prayers said for me. It is up to God who survives. Hand the problem up to him. Expect a Miracle and you will get one. Remember prayer is louder in groups. I will send your friend an Angel to help her through. Without mine. I would not have had the strength to get through the ordeal. There is hope as long as there is breath. Good luck to your friend.
9 :
THAT USUALLY THE WORST,SORRY
10 :
Let her be a hapi girl every day.
11 :
My sister has stage 5 pacreatic cancer which has now spread through her entire body, once it hits your liver and lymph nodes the bile duct begin to get squashed and jaundice sets in, it becomes very aggressive and digestion becomes difficult. I am sorry to hear about your friend but the end result is not good. My sister was diagnosed 7 weeks ago and has about 1 month left statistically speaking.
12 :
I would not give up. There are a combination of remedies your friend can try that seems promising. I would not use the chemo and radiation. That will just depress your friends immune system even more. Your friend needs to do everything they can to strenghten their immune system. Here is a web site that lists what they can do. I would also see a natural or holistic doctor too. http://www.cancer-prevention.net/ Also includ RM-10 medicinal mushrooms by Garden of Life. The developer of RM-10's grandmother had stage 4 cancer and she is now cancer free.
13 :
Go to www.GoXanthones.com and listen to the audio links on cancer by Dr. John Edwards. He has been using mangosteen juice for his cancer patients with good results. To obtain mangosteen juice go to www.mangosteendiscovery.com. You can order right from that site. All natural and tastes great!






 Read more discussions :